A hearty and delicious soup
Preparation time15 minutes
Cooking time1.25 hours
Serves4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, diced finely
- 2 celery stalks, diced finely
- 1 bacon bone (200g)
- 800g can chopped tomatoes
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup finely chopped savoy cabbage
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 x 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup small pasta
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Shaved parmesan, to serve
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent. Add carrot, celery and bacon bone and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and water and bring the soup to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered for 45 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, zucchini, beans, pasta and season with salt and pepper. Cook, covered for a further 20-25 minutes. Add a little extra water if necessary.
- Serve hot with shavings of parmesan on top.
These appliances below can be used to make this recipe