Kourabiethes (Greek Biscuits)
Almond biscuits popular amongst the Greek communities.
Preparation time15 minutes
Cooking time25 minutes
- 250g butter, softened
- 2½ cups pure icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 orange, rind finely grated
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 2½ cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup almond meal (ground almonds)
- Preheat oven to 160°c. Line 2 flat baking trays with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, 1 cup icing sugar, vanilla and orange rind until pale and creamy. Add egg and beat until well combined.
- Sift flour and baking powder over mixture. Add almond meal. Stir until dough comes together.
- Using 1 tablespoon dough per biscuit, roll out into 8cm-long sausage shapes. Bend to form crescent shapes. Place on baking trays, allowing room for spreading. Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden. Stand for 5 minutes on trays until firm.
- Place remaining sugar in a bowl. Coat warm biscuits, 1 at a time, in sugar. Place on a wire rack to cool. Sift any remaining icing sugar over biscuits when cool.