Slow Cooker Beef Casserole
A great family recipe
Preparation time15 minutes
Cooking time4 hours
Serves6 to 8
- 2 kg chuck or round steak, diced
- ½ cup flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bunches of spring onion, stalk trimmed, peeled and left whole
- 3 carrots, diced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 cup semi dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh thyme as a garnish
- Dust beef in flour, shaking off excess flour. Heat oil in a large frying pan and cook beef in batches until brown. Transfer to slow cooker.
- To the same pan, add onion and garlic, cook stirring for 1-2 minutes, or until onion is softened. Add carrots and celery and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Stir tomato paste into the vegetables, cook 1 minute. Add wine and allow alcohol to evaporate and liquid to reduce slightly. About 2 minutes.
- Place vegetables and remaining ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 5-6 hours.
- Season to taste and serve hot with mashed potatoes or a thick Italian Bread.
These appliances below can be used to make this recipe