Carrot cake with a Brazilian twist!
Preparation time15 minutes
Cooking time60 minutes
FOR THE CAKE
- 300g peeled carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 large eggs
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder, sifted
FOR THE BRIGADEIRO (ON TOP)
- 85gm bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup thickened cream
- Chocolate sprinkles for garnishing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°c with a rack in the center. Grease and flour a 25cm bunt pan, set to one side.
- In the jug of a blender, combine the carrots, eggs, sugar, oil and salt. Blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a large bowl and using a hand whisk, gently stir the flour and baking powder until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Run a butter knife along the edges of the cake pan, tap the pan firmly a few times and shake it gently to help loosen the cake. Invert the pan onto a cooling rack and lift pan away gently. Allow cake to cool.
- To make the brigadeiro, combine the chocolate, sweetened condensed milk and butter in a saucepan. Cook the mixture over medium-low heat stirring constantly for about 10 minutes. Add the heavy cream and stir until smooth. The brigadeiro should be thick but pourable.6. Transfer the cake to a serving platter and pour the brigadeiro all over the cake. Decorate with chocolate sprinkles, if desired. Let it set for a few minutes before serving.