Sweet treats for your families and friends or planning for a party? Try our easy Surprise Cupcake recipe.
Preparation time20 minutes
Cooking time20 minutes
- 320g butter, softened
- 1¾ cups caster sugar
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 500g SR Flour, sifted
- 1 cup milk
- 500g butter, room temperature
- 6 cups icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 1 tspn. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs. milk
- 2 – 4 drops Pink food gel
- 1 cup unicorn sprinkles, plus extra to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180oc, line 36 paper cases in cupcake trays.
- Place the butter and sugar into mixing bowl.
- Using the scraper paddle attachment and on speed 7, beat the butter and sugar together for 6 mins. Add vanilla extract and mix for a further 1 minute.
- Reduce speed down to 2, place guard on the bowl and add eggs one at a time (mixture may curdle a little a little, but it will come together), then alternately add flour and milk. Mix until well combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, measure mixture out into 36 paper patty pans
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until cooked.
- Place cupcakes on a wire rack to cool, and repeat cooking all cupcakes.
- Once the cakes are cool, use the round of a pipe nozzle or a 4cm pastry cutter to make a hole in the top of the cup cake, without going through the bottom of the cake, remove the lids of the cakes and place the ‘surprise’ 1 teaspoon of sprinkles inside the cake, cover with the cake lid.
To make the icing
- Using the scraper paddle, beat butter on speed 7 for 5 minutes.
- Turn the mixer to speed 2, add icing sugar, once combined increase speed to 7 and beat for 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla essence and beat until combined, whilst the mixer is still running add 1 teaspoon milk at a time until you get the right consistency you require.
- Using a star nozzle and piping bag, place the nozzle and bag in a tall glass to hold the pipe bag. Using a skewer dipped in food gel, paint 3 long stripes inside the piping bag; fill the pipe bag with butter icing.
- Pipe the butter icing on top of the cup cakes and sprinkle with extra sprinkles, ready for the party.